Students will learn about the elements of the Universe according to Spirits Book chapter 2: God, Spirit, and Matter.
We, humans, are not capable of understanding everything yet, but things are revealed to us as we know more. Our spirits are immortals, and our bodies are temporary houses of our spirit on Earth.
Values: Learning process, Eternity vs. Perishable, Humbleness, Care
Prepared by: @Susana Resem and @Edmara Almeida
1. Make a circle with students
2. Each student will have a picture of hygiene (brushing teeth, taking a shower, cleaning your room) attached to his/her back (Optional). See Hygiene.pdf
3. Choose a student from the circle to go around and choose a picture, or you can show a picture to the student
4. The student has to make mimic the action in the picture
5. Other students try to guess what it is
After the game, ask students what those pictures are about.
Why do we have to take care of our bodies?
“You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body, temporarily.”
Book: A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr
Question: What do you guys think about this?
Are we our bodies? Who are we?
hygiene – noun: conditions or practices (as of cleanliness) conducive to health
Perish – verb: to become destroyed or ruined: cease to exist
Immortal– adjective: The ability to live forever; eternal life
Supreme – adjective: superior to all others
Individual – noun: being or characteristic of a single thing or person
Ethereal – adjective: characterized by lightness and thin; as impalpable or intangible as air
Instrument – a device or implement, especially one held in hand, used to carry out a particular function.
Distribute the General Elements of the Universe activity to the students and ask them to fill the shapes as you explain the lesson General Elements Students
When we study animals, we divide them into groups like mammals, reptiles, fish, birds, etc.
That helps us to understand each group better since they share the same characteristics same attributes and also helps us to understand the relationships between them.
Who we truly are
We are immortal, intelligent, and individual spirits that sometimes live the spiritual realm and sometimes in the physical realm.
Who or What created our bodies? Does it belong to us?
In the physical realm, we have a body, which is a gift of God and serves as an instrument for our spirit to evolve.
We use our bodies to be able to perform our activities, like work, study, and play.
We, spirits, need matter to manifest our actions. For example, how can we plant a tree? We need our hands, eyes, seeds, hoe, soil, air, and water.
If our bodies are our instruments of work, do we need to take care of them?
How can we take care of our bodies? Remember our game at the beginning of the class?
Ask students to fill out five habits we should have to preserve our bodies healthy. (distribute handouts – Taking Care of your Body)
1. What are the general elements of the Universe?
2. Who are we? Do we have a body, or are we a body?
3. Did God create us? And matter?
4. Why do we need to take care of our bodies?
5. Is intelligence an attribute of the body or of the spirit?